Student Mobility / Career / Getting A Job As A Non-EU Student In The Netherlands

Getting A Job As A Non-EU Student In The Netherlands

There are a lot of reasons why you might want to look for a job next to your studies. Besides the obvious financial benefits, working also gives you some great career experience and boosts your CV. It’s also a great way to meet new people and get yourself invited to all kinds of fun events. However, you may wonder whether the process of getting a bijbaantje (part-time job) looks the same for all international students. Here’s everything to know about getting a student job as a non-EU student in the Netherlands. 

Do I need a work permit?

Yes, unfortunately, you do. While Dutch and EU students are able to work without restrictions, things are slightly more tedious for anyone from farther away. Tedious, but by no means impossible. In fact, little effort is required from your end. 

After you’ve successfully aced that job interview, your employer will be the one to apply for your work permit before you sign a contract. As this will take around five weeks, it’s a good idea to apply for a job well before you intend to start. For example, if you want to start working in the new year, start applying to jobs well before Christmas. This will give the UWV werkbedrijf enough time to process your employer-to-be’s request. 

Once everything is in order, you’ll be able to choose: either you can work up to 16 hours per week or full-time during the summer months, namely June, July and August. Just make sure that you don’t start working before you’ve received your permit. Your employer also shouldn’t expect this from you, otherwise, you could lose your residency and they might be fined. 

In case you’d like to work without hour restrictions, you’ll be happy to hear that this is possible if you register as self-employed. All you’ll need to do is sign up at the chamber of commerce (KVK). We previously wrote an in-depth blog post about what this entails, if you’re interested. 

What about health insurance?

This is also very important to keep in mind (for anyone, EU students included) - health insurance. A student insurance, such as AON for example, isn’t going to cut it. Any student who wants to work in the Netherlands will be required to take out basic health insurance, or basisvezekering.

Depending on the company and coverage you choose, this will likely cost between 110 and 170 euros a month. There are a lot of options to choose from, so take an afternoon to do your research and make a decision based on what your individual needs are.

Of course, paying over a hundred euros a month on health insurance alone is quite a lot for a student. Luckily, there’s a way to get partially reimbursed. If you make less than 22,000 euros a year, the Dutch government offers a so-called zorgtoeslag, or healthcare allowance. Up to 111 euros of your monthly insurance plan will be reimbursed, meaning that oftentimes you end up paying less than 10 euros a month. Not too bad, right? 

Here’s another warning: Don’t work without proper Dutch insurance. Hearing how much the fine is might make you cry. It’s simply not worth it, especially if you apply for the zorgtoeslag

How do I find a job?

We published an in-depth blog a while back, which gives you a ton of options as to what kind of work is out there for international students in the Netherlands and how best to find it. Here’s a short recap: Restaurants, bars and cafés are often looking for part-time help. They may advertise any vacancies on their website or social media channels, but walking in and asking is also an option. Just print out some copies of your CV, walk into a place, ask if they’re hiring and let them know that you’re interested. They’ll probably get back to you shortly. 

The issue with this method is that hospitality establishments are often not willing to apply for work permits on the behalf of non-EU students. Also consider asking around at your university, as your professors might need help with research or your friends might know a place.

Can Student Mobility help?

Good question! Yes, indeed we can. Helping international students find work is one of the ways that we make your integration into the Netherlands easier. Do you want to work at a bar? Or maybe teach your native language to other students? Or perhaps you’d like to up your exercise by delivering food or groceries? Well, we have a number of options available, one of which will most definitely fit your expectations. 

All you’ll need to do is give us some pointers as to what kind of work you’d want to do, how much you plan on working, where you’re from and how we can best get in touch with you. Of course, it’s also handy if you send over a CV so we know what we’re working with. The companies we’re partnered with will also know exactly how to apply for a work permit on your behalf, so that’s all taken care of.

Of course, we’ll do our best to match you with your ideal student job; however, it’s always a good idea to keep your options open and look for work through other channels as well. This is especially good if you’d like to start working as soon as possible.

In case you’re interested, you can fill in our job search form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we’ve found your potential future job.

This was everything you needed to know about getting a job as a non-EU student in the Netherlands. We hope we’ve cleared some things up so that you can get working and start earning.

Share this article link: 

Use Interrail now to discover Europe.

Make unforgettable memories in 2023.
Choose your Pass
Related articles:
Student Mobility
KVK registration: 89253221
VAT: NL864924720B01
Amsterdam, The Netherlands 
Get updated information, promo and discount!
© 2021 Student Mobility. All rights reserved